Monday, August 10, 2009

Poor response from the Ministry of Health

As of Monday, 10 August 2009, it was reported in the media that the H1N1 pandemic has taken 32 lives in Malaysia since the outbreak. Immediately, when I heard the news I went to the Ministry of Health website. In the Internet era I think it was a natural instinct or response people made.

Unfortunately, the website of the Malaysian Ministry of Health was not helpful. There was no link to H1N1 despite the increasing number of people dying due to the disease. The appearance of the Ministry of Health did not show any indication that H1N1 was really a pandemic.

I expected to see some warning of what people should do and should not do. At least show some statistics or any information to indicate the status of the pandemic. I did not see much action in there.

It seems to me that the Ministry of Health is not trying its best to keep the general public well-informed. Just because the news are reported in TV or radio news, it does not mean that the job is done. It is the responsibility of the Ministry of Health to provide information to the public. Come on guys, not everybody are watching evening news.

To me, the way the Ministry of Health handle the H1N1 pandemic is poor. They could have done better.

No comments:

Post a Comment